Getting started with Programming ESP8266- ESP07 modules




 Recently I had to use esp8266 modules to do my research on wifi radio tomography. To program them was a challenge because of my lack of knowledge in electronics. It was very new to me and I got a huge support from my research supervisor and research lab friends to do this. Below are the steps I followed and reference I used to understand and program.  

Specifications:

Linux Ubuntu version 14.04
Arduino 1.6.8


Steps to follow:

1. Download and install Arduino
To install and start with Arduino on linux, this is good link->  arduino

2. Start the arduino IDE. Open 'preferences' from file menu.

Enter this text/link in the field ->



3. Open 'board manager' from Tools->Board menu and search for esp8266 platform. Install it.

4. Select "Generic ESP8266 Module" from Tools-> Board, and select the following settings.

Flash Frequency: 40MHz
CPU Frequency: 80MHz
Upload Using: Serial
Upload Speed: 115200
Flash Mode: QIO
Flash Size: 1M (512K SPIFFS)

5. Follow the given video to connect the ESP8266 module to FDTI module.

6. From examples, select WiFiAccessPoint.

7. Upload the code.
Before uploading, disconnect VCC supply from the module and reconnect it. Otherwise it will give a "sync failed" error.

I also got the error "cannot access dev/ttyUSB0" error so I had to give permission as,
sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0

8. After the code is completed uploading, remove the GPIO0 pin from the GND connection. Then disconnect and reconnect the VCC of ESP8266-ESP07 from the FDTI VCC supply.

9. Now you can see ESP access point from any device and connect to it.

Here is an image, connect from a mobile phone:



Reference:

1. http://recolog.blogspot.mx/2015/10/programming-esp8266-esp07-modules.html

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J7zflVO8K0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sniffing GSM traffic with hackRF

Save recorded data with hackRF to a .raw file